Sunday, February 24, 2008

So tell me about the book...

I just finished watching Gung Ho which, unfortunately, did not take place in Michigan, but rather in Pennsylvania. Go figure. Either way, 20 years on and the themes of that story are still relevant, if not more so in a world that is not just commercially bipolar (Japan and the U.S.), but multipolar.

While watching the film I said to myself that I could perhaps describe the book I'm working on in terms of an updated Gung Ho. The analogy, unfortunately, falls apart in a few ways. While Gung Ho more or less explores the Japanese-American work dynamic (with tastes of cultural differences), my story will most likely pull up a number of issues across the board (first world vs. third world; immigrants vs. natives (which, in the U.S., is still kind of a joke as only the Native Americans can really lay claim to that moniker); and, of course, baseball vs. soccer). That being said, when asked what the story's about, it's been a challenge to come up with a short and sweet response that accurately conveys the story's conflict and gets people interested.

This will be particularly important to nail down when the boy from New York City shows up in Dearborn. I've been thinking of saying, "It's about the conflicts that arise in a city dealing with economic and immigrant issues." I know, that's blindingly boring and not funny at all, but I reckon it'll get people talking and sharing their stories which'll help me paint a more accurate picture.

1 comment:

Bigtooth said...

Here's an article that might interest you.