Sunday, January 3, 2010

It's about...Mr. More.

As I learned with my last book, it's important to prepare a succinct answer to the question, "So, what's your book about?" In short, I've come up with, "Love, quality versus quantity...starring a Chinese beer-ess and a Wall Street banker." Intriguing or just weird?

Speaking of quality versus quantity, the Economist ran an interesting article recently entitled, "Hi there" with the subtitle, "Life is getting friendlier but less interesting. Blame technology, globalisation and feminism." Among other things, the article discussed greeting etiquette and how the old Dear Mrs. Post has quickly become, Yo Fanny!

Along that line, I always enjoyed the formality of Russian names in the works of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. While some found all the long names confusing, I liked how you could tell how close two people were according to how they addressed each other. Today, the Economist article argues, everyone is on a first name basis. That being so, intimacy seems to be assumed, not earned.

To this end, my love-everything female protagonist is on a first name basis with the entire world while my love-few male protagonist's first name is, at least early on, barely known. I look forward to playing with this.

The story continues to move along, a little each day. And that time I spend working on it every day is the greatest release I get. Amen.

No comments: