Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Road Ahead

Our class ended well. I learned about "the business" and what my next steps are. Namely, to formally pitch ACYW and to prepare to pitch other ideas. While I've learned about the all important log lines - the line or two used to describe one's film idea most succinctly - I still need to learn how to write a synopsis (a 2-3 page overview of the movie in case readers get passed the log line). Once I get a better feel for that, I can really start moving head.

I also got a number of movies for Christmas which I look forward to watching to see how they told their stories. One is Paul Newman's Slap Shot. Within the first 5-8 minutes of the film we have a very good feel for who the main characters are. On the whole, a solid first act. The third act, too, presents a couple great twists. But in the second act the movie slows down.

Thanks to class, I watch movies differently now and have a better feel for what needs to be stronger to keep a viewer's attention. Hopefully I'll apply my new eyes to my own work as well.

No comments: