Friday, February 10, 2012

28 stories, 60+ songs and the competition

Hooey Savvy, my kids book on financial education, continues to develop at a good clip. I have written first drafts of the book's 28 stories and this week I'm writing 60+ songs to go with them. Once those are finished, I'll give them all a long third look before seeking outside counsel from teachers, parents and kids.

This past fall I read 10-15 books by the competition. From those I took away six flaws that I address in my book. They are:

1) A paucity of kid or animal protagonists for kids to identify with;
2) No songs or rhymes to help understand or remember difficult concepts;
3) Graphic design heavy on AP stock photos from the trading floor, not illustrations that complement the written word;
4) A number of books that try to explain the entire financial system in a single go while reading like a textbook (ie, books difficult to read in one sitting);
5) Few books that bridge the divide between financial street slang which we all know and more formal synonyms which many of us do not; and
6) An introduction to the gray and black markets.

While I await feedback from my editing group, I plan to re-read those books and many more and to review them on this site. In light of the obvious conflict of interest, I will attempt to set up a grading system with which to judge these books so we're talking oranges to oranges and to be as objective as possible.

That should cover the next two weeks or so.

No comments: