Monday, December 31, 2007

The horror

Before the night's first customer sits down, a cook has to have his mise en place ready. Michael Ruhlman, author of The Elements of Cooking, defines "meez" as:

"Literally, 'put in place,' mise en place is the kitchen term for your setup, the gathering and preparation of all the tools and food you need to complete the task at hand."

Strewn around my apartment are my literary mise en place. Books on African folklore and wisdom literature, African fiction and poetry and, of course, relevant '80s movies (there are two in particular).

That being said, I'm improving my knowledge of African literature. And yet, are Africans m primary audience? Probably not. Westerners will be, I reckon. And what works tell of Africa and Africans from the Westerner's point of view? Well, two come to mind: Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa and Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

While I'd like to be as clever as Joyce - dropping references left and right in multiple languages - I know that at the end of the day I'll be talking to myself. Therefore, rather than nibble around the plate with an assortment of obscure references (no knuckle-curves here), I've decided to stick with a few rather well-known works to work off of. Heart of Darkness will be one of those works.

Heart of Darkness would allow me to conceivably turn this one-sided story on its head at the expense of its former protagonists. And by having the African characters quote it back to the Westerners they come across, it sends a message to the American characters: You do not act in a vacuum. We have read your books, we follow your economy and politics, we know your geography. And this knowledge of your world is our power. Do you know ours?

Heart of Darkness and Coming to America, a recipe for literary laughs.

2 comments:

Bigtooth said...

Sounds good, but I'll be terribly disappointed if there are no references to Anansi.

Harris said...

Coming to America, now you're speaking my language.