Sunday, April 27, 2008

Old School Joints

A local radio station likes to play "old school joints." Last night they introduced such a joint by saying, "Back in the day, New York City...1999." When did 1999 become "back in the day"? And if that's old school, what's Run DMC?

This 9 year window of history seems to be a symptom of America's amnesia, or more likely, our preference for the present and the future than the past. That being said, when someone can show intimate knowledge of history, I cannot help but be impressed.

To this end I've been reading two books on Michigan lately and learning a lot. I've been gaining knowledge that I'd like to arm my African protagonists with; knowledge that'll buy them credibility in their work in a foreign land. For instance, Texas has the Alamo, but in Michigan the cry once was, "Remember the River Raisin!" And did you know Michiganians were dubbed wolverines by Ohioans "who likened them to that 'vicious, smelly, ugly northwoods animal'" during the battle for the Toledo Strip? And that wolverines are part of the weasel family? Crazy kids stuff.

On a side note, I hope to share some good news soon. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Bigtooth said...

I know that Ohio and Michigan once came to blows over the Toledo area, but I didn't know about the wolverine link. Nice!