Monday, July 7, 2008

Address please?

In Chapter Three, the Batswana (the curious plural of people from Botswana) move their offices into the heart of Dearborn, specifically what has been the vacant Montgomery Ward building which I mentioned earlier. Well, after re-reading that link I'm confused. It seems that there is the Montgomery Ward building and then there is the John H. Schaefer building. I need to find out which is which and which I want to include in the story.

It also appears that the Montgomery Ward building may be torn down by September 1st to make way for a new building. The future of the Montgomery Ward building has been in limbo for a number of years with various plans having come and gone to no avail. I'll have to keep an eye on this development as it raises key questions:

1) If the building is torn down by 9/1/08, how does that impact my story which takes places between 08/08 and 11/08?
2) Can I ask readers to suspend their disbelief to accommodate what may be an anachronism?
I probably can, but I don't want to and there's the rub.
Till I have concrete answers, I'm gonna keep on truckin'. Revisions to Chapter Three are moving right along with characters and events taking on more depth and precision.

No comments: