Sunday, September 7, 2008

Crazy 8s and the Name Game

A draft of Chapter 8 is done. It includes the quintessential Detroit intersection of Motown and motor oil. Good times. Put together an outline for 9. Will start Sunday.

While reading Buckley's The White House Mess (1986) I got a chuckle out of an accounting firm he named, Dewey, Skruem and Howe. This made me think more about how I name my characters and what potential for humor there might be. I came up with an idea that'll hopefully not only make people laugh, but help them connect with the story and the characters as so many of us Americans have emotional attachments to the automobiles in our lives. I don't even drive anymore, but I cheer inside anytime I get to handle a stick shift. And just the sight of a certain make or model can take my memory back the way songs or scents do. I reckon I'm not alone in that regard.

1 comment:

Bigtooth said...

Ah, see, I knew that firm with one different partner, when it was Dewey, Cheatam & Howe. And of course, the folks who handled my friend's divorce, Weiner, Deiner, Dinker & Dewer.