Monday, May 10, 2010

Strand-ed

T he Strand, an institution of a used books store in NYC, is home to 18 miles of books. Of that 18 miles, I'd say screenplays make up about six feet. Though I was able to snag copies of The Shawshank Redemption and Life Is Beautiful, the pickings were slim. While I would expect bookstores in Los Angeles to have more screenplays, you'd think NYC wouldn't be a slouch in this department.

Perhaps there are other spots that have more. Perhaps the Strand's four shelves' worth was their bone thrown to screenwriters. Or maybe, just maybe, people just don't read screenplays. Zeus knows I'm reading my first at 33. Dunno. That being said, the beauty of screenplays is you don't depend on their sales to survive. You just have to sell one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose you have already checked online - when I was looking to read scripts, I found quite a lot. I may have some downloaded, if you interested.

So the decision is made, you are converting it to a screenplay?

Randall Mardus said...

In fact, I did not check online. Good idea, though. Thank you, Doc!

And yes, I've decided to convert ACYW and my current project to screenplays. Thoughts? I know I met a woman the other night who was slightly aghast at the idea.