Thursday, March 8, 2012

They All Laughed

Yesterday the old Gershwin tune, "They All Laughed" came to me. While the song has a romantic angle to it, it's based on once-considered laughable business ideas; the thought of Edison recording sound, the Wright brothers saying man could fly, Whitney's cotton gin, Fulton's steamboat, Henry Ford's Tin Lizzie. It's also about how quickly the public changes its tune once the laughable idea becomes popular.

Yesterday someone told me I couldn't contact a certain illustrator about my kids book on financial education, Hooey Savvy. Why would a five-time New York Times best-selling illustrator want to work with you, this person asked. Maybe it's because I have a really good fucking idea, I thought.

And so today I emailed Mr Peter Brown proposing my idea and why I thought his work complemented my story well. If you'd like to get in on the act, email Mr Brown and say:

"They all laughed at Mardus,
When he asked to work with Brown.
They all laughed at Hooey Savvy,
Now they've all got it down.
It's the same old cry.
They laughed at him writing you
Said he was reaching for the moon.
But oh, will you come through
and make them change their tune?"

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: