Thursday, May 3, 2012

Corpus Christi Chronicle #1

Folks in Corpus Christi don't beat around the bush: And amen to that! Today I started knocking on doors, shaking hands and making my pitch to local school administrators. In return, I got two encouraging signs and two clear hurdles.

First, the good. Both school administrators, a director and a principal, approved of Hooey and the need for tools such as Hooey to address financial education.

Second, the hurdles. Both school administrators also made it clear that while they liked Hooey, it and the participation of students had to pass the legal smell test and the educational requirements of the state of Texas. Fortunately, the director walked me to the legal services office and the principal led me to the Texas Education Agency's Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), the backbone of the state's public education system.

The attorney was in a meeting, but I'll follow up with him. As for TEKS, I'm writing up a compliance report for the principal that clearly delineates how Hooey satisfies the state's requirements on a number of fronts with specific examples from the book.

In other news: I met a sister-team that is putting together a quote to illustrate Hooey. New York rapper Maslab looks to cut a track from Hooey.

Tomorrow: Follow-up with the attorney; the search for an illustrator continues at the Metro School of Design; and other games of phone tag continue.

No comments: