Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stuck in the Middle

After years of squirreling away my writing, I have come to enjoy the comments that other readers bring which I would have never considered. A number of readers have already weighed in on the first chapter and helped me flesh out various parts and characters. This past weekend another reader brought to light another angle I had not given sufficient thought: the perspective of the people of Botswana.

Essentially, the reader said that I was speaking for the people of Botswana and, well, I had no right to do that. After much discussion, I agreed that without spending time there and without consulting long-time residents, that my story would carry little credibility with those in the know.

This line of thought had struck me earlier on in the writing process. I wondered if I should fictionalize the countries in the story to avoid this very problem. I decided not to for a few reasons.

First I thought of Gulliver's Travels and asked myself, "What countries was Jonathan Swift alluding to? And how many people today know that it was a satire, not simply the story of a traveler?" I fear that, on the whole, the specific satiric allusions have been lost to the entertainingly fantastic tales Swift told. [That being said, haven't his stories stood the test of time and can they not allude to present day conflicts as much as those of his time?]

Second, Botswana has a great story to tell. Unlike Borat's Kazakhstan, Botswana is a success and if I could do something to let Western readers know that Africa has such a success, why not show it off rather than having to make up such a case?

Third, I was recently inspired by the following piece which appeared in the 12/19/2007 edition of the Economist regarding the recent United Nations Climate Change Conference:

"Who would save it? The little guy, of course: Kevin Conrad, a (conveniently handsome) delegate from Papua New Guinea, a poor but beautiful country condemned to sink beneath the waves unless the big powers act. He leant towards his microphone, face taught with emotion. 'If for some reason you are not willing to lead,” he said, referring to an arrogant comment on leadership by one of the American delegates, “leave it to the rest of us. Please—get out of the way.' The applause was thunderous. Minutes later, Ms Dobriansky (the U.S. representative) crumpled. 'We will go forward and join consensus,' she said. There were sighs of relief and gasps of elation. The planet was saved. It was, everybody agreed, an historic agreement.'"

While I cannot stand behind Botswana's lecturn on the global stage, I can make a similar point through humor. Jeremiads will continue to be written this way or that and often because of their serious and didactic tone they are easily written off. I'd prefer to make my points with a little laughter. As an old French teacher of mine who recently passed away liked to say, "If you can't laugh at life, you're fucked." Well Mr. Danforth, this one's for you. Au revoir, mon ami.

No comments: