Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Rejigging of ACYW

I finished re-reading and making notes on ACYW this morning before work. I have made some decisions, others loom.

Decisions Made
1) I have decided to change the names and nationalities of two of the main characters. Rather than being from Botswana, they will be from Brazil.

2) I have decided to focus on the story of the soccer team of Arab American kids in Dearborn, Michigan rather than the story of two Batswana bringing the Peace Corps to the U.S. This helps explain #1. Who would you rather have for a soccer coach, a Brazilian or a Botswana?

While the idea of the "reverse Peace Corps" may disappear, it will not in spirit. Part of the beauty of Brazilian characters is the history of Brazil, its multiethnic/racialness, its auto industry and the greenness of its auto industry. All these attributes jive better with Dearborn and its challenges than two entrepreneurs from Africa who made their money off of diamonds.

Decisions Ahead
1) Do I continue to tell the story from the third person, or do I focus on the perspective of the young female journalist, Besat El-Reeh, who people seem to like?

2) How much of the story do I hand over to the team and how much rests with Besat and the Brazilians? I'd like to think I can make it all work, but I've already been told once that it doesn't.

Those are the broad strokes.

Funny enough, there's a scene in the book where Besat tells an AP reporter that this is the story of a team and their community, not the Batswana because people wouldn't get them. And now here I am, finally listening to my character's advice.

One reader was not happy with my proposed changes. He thought I had made my case and that the two stories worked well together. God bless him. Hopefully I can do the same for the next version. Any thoughts from other readers? Dr. Z, perhaps?

No comments: