Sunday, October 12, 2008

Michigan ho!

After numerous phone calls (with more to come) and inquiries, I've finally got substantive enough answers to move on. What am I talking about? I'm talking about a month-long sojourn in Dearborn during which time I'll volunteer on the Obama campaign (yes, I know McCain has withdrawn from MI, but there are few better ways to learn an area's geography and issues faster than campaign work) and, hopefully, do a stint at a local Arab bakery.

This is key as it allows me to be in the place where the story takes places when it takes place. I will also be living with a local and working with locals so I can get more local perspectives, get a feel for diction/accent and make the story truer where it needs to be.

I hope to leave October 20th at the earliest, November 1st at the latest with a return to NYC ahead of Thanksgiving.

No comments: