Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sweet 16

Chapter 16 is in the books. Yeehaw. I've also written up outlines for Chapter 17 and the short Epilogue.

Question: Do you read Prologues and Epilogues? If not, why not?

So now you're thinking, OK, those two chapters and he's done...right? Kinda. Then there's Chapter 1.5. I realized a while back that there ought to be a chapter between the introduction (Chapter 1) and the beginning of action in Dearborn (Chapter 2) where I give the reader more background on the history of Dearborn. Sounds boring, but it helps the story make more sense if you can understand the transformation this area has undergone in the last 80-100 years. In some ways, Dearborn was akin to Williamsburg, Brooklyn when it was one of the places to do business before the area's decline and then subsequent rise with the Hipster; that is, except for the rise part. When I've asked locals if they think Dearborn could become the next Flint I have yet to hear a denial or refusal. Usually there's just silence and/or a "maybe." Kinda scary.

Anyway, yeah, either I write 1.5 or I sprinkle in local history as I go.

No comments: