Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Last two, except for the other two

"So how's the book coming?" a co-worker asked me last night.

"Good. Got two chapters left."

"That's great!"

"Yeah," I admitted, "but I've been saying that for the last two chapters."

I am, no doubt, in the thick of it. All the plot lines are coming together like plaid. I now go into fictional huddles with my characters, or as a friend calls them, "my imaginary friends", to ask what everyone's gonna do in the next chapter. One guy who was integral early on has been on the sidelines lately. Just today I saw him on the bench and figured it was time to call his number again. I'm also getting to know my players better, by name not just number. Just gave one a tattoo! Rather proud of that.

I'm also antsy to finish this sloppy first draft so I can jump into editing and make this shit nice. So far, I've got most of the general stuff down, but lately my head's been flooded with details that I ought to incorporate; details that'll give it all more personality and pop. I've even found ways for characters in books I haven't even written yet to have bit parts in this one (and vice versa) which is an idea I like, especially after you've got to know these folks to the point where you actually want to see them again.

No comments: